Saturday, February 12, 2011

Time to Reflect...

Where Am I, Who Am I and Why Am I here?


I have had a few bewildered moments while on this transient adventure. There is one moment in particular when I was in a tent camping in the red center of Australia, which basically the middle of absolutely nowhere. I woke up in the middle of the night and I had to remind myself where I was. Once I remembered where I was, I thought…”Oh yeah, and why am I here?”


I have had quite a few introspective moments over the previous few years and especially over the previous few months. One recent exchange stands out in my mind and caused quite a bit of pondering…A friend, with great intentions, sent an email to a friend of theirs who lives just north of Sydney. I was copied in on the email as this was to serve as an email introduction and it went something like this…My friend from the states is traveling in Australia after a divorce…” etc., etc. Hmmm…I wondered why the divorce part was a necessary addition to the introduction. Is this how I am now defined, viewed or lableled by others, a divorcee before all else? Well, I wasn’t very happy about this label and have concluded that I am many things to many people.


I am called:

  • Mija
  • Patricia
  • Joanne
  • Joannie (that’s my mom’s favorite)
  • Auntie
  • Nina
  • Jo
  • Tia Jojo
  • Jojo

I am:

  • A Daughter
  • A Sister
  • An Aunt
  • A Godmother
  • A Sister-in-law
  • A Cousin
  • A Friend
  • A Niece
  • A Comadre


And I value them all!


Sometimes life throws you a curve ball. How you handle it is the million-dollar question. It’s been almost 6 years since the event that is called a divorce happened in my life and it seems like a lifetime ago. So many events have happened subsequent and it seems so irrelevant now. It was a small chapter in this life I am leading, an event, and I choose not to be defined by it - "no body puts baby in a corner"! With age, 32 (insert big wink here), I have come to realize that I like where I am and how I choose to approach the curve ball events. I have developed a comfort in my own skin, a confidence in doing most anything on my own and I love life. Does this mean that I wouldn’t want to share life’s experiences with someone? – Absolutely not, but until that day comes (and for that matter - thereafter), I am going to enjoy and love this life I am living as I know it is too short!


Why am I here? It's simple, I want to be here. Yes, maybe the beginning of this journey a few years ago was a little eat, pray, loveish, but the truth of the matter is, I want to be here, exploring new lands and learning about different cultures. I love it, period. I recognize how very blessed I am to be able to be here doing what I love and I truly believe that I am where I should be. I am happy!

3 comments:

The Package said...

I prefer "Mujer Loca", but it hasn't really caught on, so for now I'll stick with "Jojo". Thoreau said, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.". You are not most men...and have demonstrated more courage to live your life fully than anyone I know. Don't let others' catty remarks of subtle jealousy get you down! Not worth it.

dlefer said...

See little man out of sit clapping, maybe wiping away a tear! I am SO proud of you and even more proud to call you Comadre! I truly admire how you go through life with such grace and thoughtfulness of others. Keep safe..dreaming of nyc. Besos.

Unknown said...

joanne - you left out "wine tasting buddy" - seriously so proud to call you friend and absolutely love reading your insightful views on your life. Never stop! Safe Travels! See you when you get back!