Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Melbourne - Day 1





The city of Melbourne - Day 1...

I slept in and decided to take my time heading out for the day. Checked some emails, picked up some maps and tried to figure out what I wanted to do in the city. One of the first things I did was email a gal I met in Queenstown, New Zealand, Nichola. We met at the hostel in NZ and she is from Melbourne. I emailed her and she was kind enough to pick me up at my hostel and take me to her house in Albert Park for lunch. She gave me a driving tour of the city. We visited the St. Kilda neighborhood-where the bakeries are amazing, the conservatory and the community gardens. It was such a nice surprise to be able to get a tour from a local. Nichola was extremely hospitable.

When I arrived in Melbourne the previous night, I was dropped off at my accommodation and Nichola drove me around so, I had no sense of direction. I felt like I was dropped into the middle of a busy city and had a hard time getting my barring, but what I had seen of the city to that point, I liked - cafes, parks, restaurants and lots of shopping...so far so good!

No comments: