Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Moving - West Coast to East Coast...


My tour down the West Coast of the South Island came to an end. I was packed up bright and early and ready to catch the intercity bus to Christchurch - this time, I planned to be EXTRA aware of bus stop and start times! This was a very long bus day - 8 1/2 hours, but again, it was more like a tour than just a boring bus ride. The bus drivers are so informative on all the towns and areas we traveled. I finally got a semi-decent picture of the farmed deer!

On the bus stops along the way, I arranged my accommodation in Christchurch at The Old Country House hostel and my plans for the following day. Upon arrival, I hiked to the hostel, literally hiked. On the handy dandy street map, it did not seem very far from the city center, but in reality, it was pretty darn far and it was hot. There was a noticeable temperature increase from the West Coast. I know that I've been traveling "alone", but you never really are alone. There are always other travelers to talk to and hang out with. This night, I just wanted to be really alone, me time, quiet time. I searched out the movie theatre and found that "The Kids Are All Right" was playing. I thought the moving was pretty good as it definitely captured current social issues and I am a big fan of Mark Ruffalo. It gets dark late here in New Zealand so, I was able to "hike" back to the hostel at 8:30 p.m. and be back before dark.

I would classify this day as a mellow travel day. I only booked one night at the hostel because I planned to head out the next day to visit FLIPPER in Kaidoura, which is about 2 hours further north up the coast.

No comments: