Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Day in Christchurch...



On Saturday, I washed laundry and tried to organize myself. Living out of a suitcase can take its toll. Later in the afternoon, I met my friend Benjamin at the city center and we walked to the Botanical Gardens and had a coffee. It was such a nice day. Benjamin is from Germany, as are most of the tourist I have met. He has come to New Zealand for holiday, but also to work. He just got a job working in a hostel here in Christchurch cleaning rooms and in return he gets free lodging and some meals, but he's also picked grapes and been a personal assistant. On the way back through the city center, we came across a classic car show. I had to shoot a picture of the 196X mustang (not sure what year exactly). This car reminded me so much of high school - my friend Cindy had one and it was quite a car! I said good-bye to Benjamin and hello to my friend Karoline!

Karoline, my friend from Germany who I met in Taupo, and I have been crossing paths across New Zealand and we plan to see each other again in Australia. Karoline and her friend Safi, from Turkey via Germany - now in Sydney, had rented a car and had made their way from the west coast to Christchurch. We met in front of the Cathedral and went out for sushi dinner. It was yum-o! Our plan, since I had officially addicted Karoline to salsa dancing in Wellington, was to head to a salsa night. We headed to the venue and well, it wasn't very nice. It was more of a ballroom dance studio and it wasn't a very inviting place to dance. We didn't stay long and made our way to the city center. We went to a very popular outdoor bar near the Arts Centre. There was a long table with a group of guys that were playing the guitar and singing, actually singing is a generous term. They were having a blast and were quite entertaining. We also were lucky enough to catch a fireworks show that was coming from the Botanical Gardens area. There was a big classical concert there and the finale included fireworks. The night came to an end and again I said good-bye to Karoline and Safi. They were headed to Sydney where I planned to see Karoline very soon.

No comments: