Monday, February 7, 2011

Superbowl Monday...


New Zealand is 21 hours ahead of the U.S, specifically California. Therefore, the Superbowl was on Monday for me, not Sunday. I had done some research to find a bar or pub that was going to have the game on T.V. Turns out, Sammy's Place, a bar in SkyCity Tower, was going to show the game on the big screen T.V. I got there a little early and landed a good table. As it got more and more crowded, a Kiwi guy asked if he and his wife could share the table - of course you can! Turns out his wife was an American from New York - New York attitude included. Little Miss Patriotic gave me attitude because I didn't stand up during the National Anthem. "Don't you stand up during the National Anthem?"(Roll of the eyes included) - Ah - Yeah, when I am AT the event, not in a bar ding-dong! Have you noticed that you are the ONLY one standing? She was a piece of work this one. Her husband was really nice and I have a feeling she walks all over him. I am not even sure why I am writing about this - I think because the Kiwis are SO nice and I haven't encountered an attitude like this during my travels here, I was disappointed that the attitude came from an American. Anyway, by half-time she mellowed out. I didn't really enjoy the game. It never really seemed to get going. Christina botched the National Anthem, Lea Michele was awesome with America the Beautiful, the Steelers lost, they didn't show the commercials from home, only local commercials - it was just O.K. - not great. I did see a few makeshift Cheeseheads wandering the streets - good for a laugh.

Later that evening, Val, Martin and I had the best Dominos Pizza ever, good wine and some chocolate! I said good-bye to Val and Martin because I wouldn't see them the next day before I left. They are such awesome people and I am so happy for them - they are getting married in September, here in New Zealand on Waiheke Island - Congratulations and thank the heavens for these NICE Americans!

No comments: