Sunday, November 30, 2008

Viña del Mar...Daytripper...




































I was awakened by one of my favorite sounds, the fog horn! The fog horn reminds me of the little place where I used to live in the Marina and of my 1st taste of freedom! I love hearing the fog horns of the SF Bay! It was an overcast morning which wasn't ideal for my day trip to Viña del Mar, but whachya gonna do? Viña is just a short train ride from Valparaíso and is a city beach resort that offers a beach respite for the locals. When I arrived, I arrived in the main square of town and walked the main drag. There were many many modern shops and you could pretty much find anything you need. There were so many beauty salons offering hair extensions, I was amazed. I saw the salons but, didn't see anyone sportin them - where did all the extensions go? I saw a protest march. The signs were about fair wages for hospital workers - some things are the same no matter where you are from! The dogs here are fearless. They camp out right on a busy sidewalk, passed out, not really caring that the entire population has to step over them. Of course, there's a hotel O'Higgins...Dave...

Again, walking and walking was on the agenda! While doing all this walking, I find myself practicing my Spanish with signs. I read all the signs - street, shop, flyers, etc. If I don't understand a word, I write it down and look it up later. It helps expand my Spanish vocab! I made my way to the water and the beach and lingered at Wulff and Ross Castles taking in the seaside air. The sun was missing so, there was a definite chill in the air. I enjoyed Viña for the day, but I think I would have enjoyed it more had there been some sun. I can see the potential! I headed back to Valparaíso and decided to splurge on some good food. I just couldn't choke down another empanada de pino (meat filled turnover with harboiled egg and an olive) or eat anymore fried food. The empanada de pino has been my food of choice because it's baked, not fried like almost all the food here. One of the main staples here in Chile is the hot dog, not just a hot dog, but a hot dog smothered in mayo, cheese and avocado or hot dog cut up and mixed into greasy french fries with melted cheese...yikes! I found a vegitarian restaurant, EPIF Limitada, near my hotel and splurged on am amazing tofu burrito. It was so good, I stayed and had a glass of wine and dessert! I needed that! I am missing the food variety and veggies from home!

No comments: