Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Galapagos Islands - Dia numero cinco - on land!













Based on a recommendation from a fellow traveler, we decided to walk to Tortuga Bay. Jean Luke (I think that was his name...Natalie and Myriam met him earlier in their travels), made a very strong comment about the beaches at Tortuga Bay. He said, he's been to Hawaii and many other beaches all over the world and Tortuga Bay was more beautiful then all of them. We just had to see for ourselves so, we headed out in the morning for the long walk (about and hour) to the beach. The walk there was very unique - desert landscape with many cacti. The 1st beach you come to is too rough to swim but the water is gorgeous with crashing waves and marine iguanas along the way. The super fine white sand is so inviting. It really was beautiful! As we continued up the, what seemed to be, desolate beach we came to an area with an abundance of marine iguanas. When I say abundance, I mean WOW, a ton of them! They were all over the walking path and we had to tip toe through them. It was a little creepy but awesome at the same time. The two beaches are separated by a headland of mangroves, it was like a cactus forest...amazing! I grew up in the desert, Phoenix, and we had cactus everywhere, but these are more like cactus trees, tree trunk with cactus for leaves. THEN, we made it to the 2nd beach...calm, blue and just gorgeous! I can definitely understand Jean Luke's comment about the beach here. We laid out on the beach and just relaxed. The sun was pretty intense at times. We saw one turtle swimming just off the shore and, apparently, there were some sharks (the friendly kind), at the other end of the beach. I cut out a little early and met up with the others later for lunch. At this point, I am not feeling so well. Myriam, my French Canadian nurse, supplied me with some imodium...yikes! I was trying to ignore my stomach...if you ignore it, maybe it will go away!

That night was my last night at the islands. We, the 4 of us, had dinner together then watched a kids concert in the main plaza of Puerto Ayora.

No comments: