Saturday, November 8, 2008

Getting ready for the big hike...!

I spent Monday organizing my bag, buying last minute supplies, getting my laundry done, resting and worrying about being cold on the trek. That evening, I attended the hike orientation meeting where I met my fellow hikers, our guide and our cook. We were a small group of 4 - Michaela and Lewis from New Zealand via the UK and Natasha from Australia. Jaime was our guide and Martin was our cook. We were now a family!

Jaime gave us the low down on the hike. We would be hiking on the Salkantay trail to, Aguas Calientes, the small town below the Machu Picchu site. The entire trek would be 5 days and would cover approximately 70 km reaching the highest elevation of 4600m or 15,000 feet - holy moly!

After the meeting, Natasha and I grabbed dinner and we both decided that since we were going to be camping for the next 3 nights, we were going to shower at the very last minute - 3:30 a.m. since our pick up time was 4 a.m. the next morning!!!! Sooooo early! The decision to wait on the shower turned out to be a bust...

1 comment:

Matt said...

Hey Jojo. Glad to hear you're recovering from the altitude. Have a pisco sour or two, and make sure you climb Huayna Piccu while you're there. Watch out for the social uprising. It often slows the busses down.