Monday, October 27, 2008

Galapagos Islands - Dia numero cuatro...



































Tuesday was my final Day on board El Intrepido. We were up early for one last tour on North Seymour Island. We disembarked and went on a hike around the island. Now, this is a bird watcher´s paradise. It is my understanding that there are 29 species of land birds living on the Islands with 22 of these endemic. The two I found most enjoyable to watch are the Frigatebirds and the Boobies. Here, on North Seymour Island, is where so many are living in their natural habitat with an abundance of nests and fluffy little baby birds. Of course, it´s all about mating and finding a mate with our feathered friends (with all living species for that matter...right?). The male frigatebirds have a bright red sack beneath their beaks and they expand it to attract the female. The boobies do this cute little mating dance with funny whistling sound. I finally got to see the boobies up close! There are blue footed, red footed and masked boobies. I only saw the blue footed boobie, whose bright blue feet are used to attract a mate. (Eileen - this Blue Footed Boobie is for you!)

After the hike, it was back on the boat to head to the airport for some and for others, myself included, to catch a taxi back to Puerto Ayora. Daniel, Myriane, Natalie shared and taxi and we stayed at the same hotel in town, Hotel Lirio del Mar. Later, the four of us walked to the famous Charled Darwin center in town. I am not sure if I was just tired or needed a break, but there wasn't a whole lot there. We did see Lonesome George or rather we saw him from behind - great view of his butt. Lonesome George is a famous turtle that is the last of his kind. There have been many attempts to find him a mate, but no other of his exact species has been found. Once he´s gone, his species is gone...boo!
The four of us went out to dinner and had a cocktail after. Fun time!

Now at this point, I am thankful that I made it through the boat tour without feeling sea sick or having any issues. The food on the boat was good and I felt fine. I had sea legs, as expected, when I got back to land but then...

3 comments:

Karen said...

so, you mean, all i had to do was paint my feet blue?

Patricia Joanne said...

I wish it was that easy!!!

Anonymous said...

That boat trip in the Galapagos Islands sounded so neat...to be that close to so many cool creatures that you don't get to even see in the zoo. And that guy in the picture was cute ;)