Thursday, July 10, 2008

Study study study...












I have been in "school" for the past week. We have class from 8 a.m. to noon every week day. It has been a long time since I have studied Spanish (actually studied the language). Verb tenses, conjugation, and irregular verbs...oh my! I am in an intermediate class and I find that since I have pretty good pronunciation and a good vocabulary it is sometimes perceived that I know more than I do. I need work on verb tenses for sure! I am making an effort to speak Spanish as much as possible but it is really easy to speak English most of the time. I ask all the taxi drivers to speak Spanish to me and anyone else I meet because "necesito practica". In order to get to school, I take the bus. It costs 115 colones which is about the equivalent to 20 cents. I would love to walk to school as it is not that far but it is up a heinous hill. There was one day after a big rain, that a huge tree fell on the road (it´s a single lane curvy road). We walked to school that day and it was exhausting. Next time, it´s a free day!
ve met some really cool people. Karen is a girl from Boston who I have been hanging out with...it´s kind of weird how similar our paths to get here have been...birds of a feather...! We've been gone dancing a couple of times, gone to yoga class and hung out on the beach. Being in school is pretty cool because no matter where you go, there are people around from the school and there's always someone around to talk to or find out what is going on that day.

I took my 1st surf lesson on Wednesday and went back for more on Friday. I got up a couple of times but haven't really got it yet! Soon...!

A bit about my living situation. I mentioned my host mom but didn't mention that it turns out that I have a roommate which wasn't really part of the deal. We have shared a teeny tiny room in Quepos for the last week. It's been a challenge for me to have no space and no privacy whatsoever. This weekend, a couple from my school, John and Carol, left on a weekend excursion and offered for me to stay in their Cabina while they are away for the weekend. It was so nice of them and I realized that yesterday was the first day that I've actually been alone for any period of time over the past 3 weeks. Their place has a pool and I plan to take advantage of it! I am considering renting a little room of my own for next week. Tbd...

3 comments:

Matt said...

Hola Jojo. Sounds great, but hanging out with other Americans??? I thought you wanted to escape our issues. Forever the "grenga". :-) What's the cost and effort of joining you down there?

Buenos tardes seniorita Jojo! Hang 10.

Cara said...

Que bueno, Joanne!! I'm so excited for you and LOVE reading about your trip. Siga disfrutando la vida!

allyd said...

Hola Jo!

Glad to hear school is going well. Yoga and surfing in the afternoon....what a life! I love the new pictures you posted. I absolutely love that dress you have on!

Adios,
alicia