Thursday, July 17, 2008

Go, go go...





The last week has been action packed...

I did end up moving. I am now staying across the street from our school in a really cute hotel. I love it and am much happier now!

Karen and I have been hanging out most of the time. We have a lot in common. She loves to salsa dance, like yours truly, so we have been going out dancing as much as possible. Karen is here in Manuel Antonio for 3 months. She is studying Spanish and taking a much needed break from work. Like me, she quit her job and decided to travel for a while. It does not happen often in life when you meet someone that you feel like you have know forever...I feel like that about Karen. She is awesome! She worked for Staples in Boston for 9 years and helped coin the phrase " that was easy"!

Before Karen came to Costa Rica, she was emailing a girl named Nicole who moved here from the states. Nicole, it turns out, is a fantastic yoga instructor. We have been going to her class as much as possible. I hope to be doing a headstand soon!!!

Karen´s landlord is Juan Carlos. He is awesome. He´s a tico (Costa Rican) who grew up in Switzerland, has lived in Canada, the U.S. and is now back in Costa Rica. He speaks 5 languages and is now learning Mandarin...amazing! We were talking about a fruit they have here in Costa Rica. Karen and I couldn´t pronounce it. He was like "Oh...Guanabana (Gwa na ba na)...I have a tree, let me go get one for you...". It is kind of hard to explain...really sweet, soft and squishy texture, and you pull the fruit out like pulling meat off of a bone. It´s actually really good. Juan Carlos took Karen and I to a cultural event in Quepos. It is "culture week" so they are having different events down by the marina. We listened to presentations on culinary techniques, there was a sushi demonstration, and an organic wine presentation. All the presentations were in Spanish...(a little odd to see/hear a Japanese sushi chef speaking Spanish)! My brain was exhausted afterward but I understood most of what was discussed. I actually learned a few things too! They gave us certificates for attending. I think we were the only Americans there...yay!

ve been surfing a couple more times. My surf instructors have been Marcos and Yiener. They´ve been super nice and patient! I´ve gotten up a few more times. It´s much easier in the beginning when I am not as tired. It´s exhausting but so fun! My official lessons are over but next week I plan to rent a board and go at it alone. My surf school is MASS (Manuel Antonio Surf School). MASS played Hotel Si Como No in the semi finals in futbol on Wednesday. It´s like a corporate challenge. We went to watch the game and are going to the finals on Friday. They take their futbol very serious here. Most know that I love sports so watching was a blast for me!

2 comments:

dlefer said...

Hola Chiquita Bonita! ¡Adoro audición cómo usted hace! ¡Su asombrar, yo le pierdo! ¡Mantiene las historias que vienen. ..when es la parte donde usted encuentra el a tipo alto, oscuro y guapo?! Besos

Unknown said...

Quien es el senor in el coche? Hmmmmmmmmm? :)

MISS YOU!