Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Puerto Iguazu y ¿Las Cataratas?...






Upon arriving in the town of Puerto Iguazu, we found a "hotel" that wasn't as nice as some of the hostels I have patronized. As I have traveled around, it is very interesting to note the difference in accommodations and the price - they can be quite disparate.

Anyhoo, we firmed up our plans for the next day. We planned to visit the falls AND to take the night bus back to Buenos Aires after visiting the falls. Yes, yes...a super quick (and long) trip to Puerto Iguazu and back, but the only major interest point here is the falls and I think both Patty and I were anxious to get back to Buenos Aires and really check out the city.

The next morning, we caught the bus to the Parque National de Puerto Iguazu where we arrived with many other tourists. When we were talking to the tourist information dude, he kept saying "visita a las cataratas". I thought waterfall = cascada en español. When I was in Baños, the waterfalls were cascadas. Later, I looked up both words in my handy dandy dictionario and found that they both mean waterfall! Our first hike was the route superior. Where we saw the beginnings of the waterfalls. They were pretty amazing and loud. After we hiked to the "Garganta del diablo" or translated the Devil's Throat. Ay yi yi! Amazing, powerful and beyond explaination - the waterfall here is mesmerizing. Pictures just can't do the sheer power and magnitude justice. The falls are on the boarder of Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay - tres fronteras. When you looked across the falls, there you see Brazil! After the visit to the Garganta, we hiked the route inferior - not so inferior...pretty darn cool within itself. We spent about 6 hot hours at the falls. I loved it. I can definitely see why people come from afar to visit. I have never been to Niagara Falls, so I don't have anything to compare these falls to, but I was definitely impressed.

We made our way back to town and got ready for another 17 hour bus ride back to Buenos Aires. An amazing day at the cataratas!

Side note: I have become a big fan of licuados de banana. A licuado is basically a fruit shake or smoothy and it can be made with milk or water. I like mine with water, it seems less heavy to me. I can drink these things all day long! I am going to bust out the blender when I get home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Those waterfalls look absolutely amazing!! I'll have to put that location on my list of places that I absolutely MUST see sometime in my lifetime.