Monday, December 8, 2008

Back to Santiago...


It was back to Santiago for me. I took the noon bus and made my way back to Hostel Forestal. It was then that I realized, there is less anxiety (although slight to begin with) when you are making your way back through a familiar place. It makes complete sense, but I guess I wasn't conscience of it until now. I already knew how to ride the subway and what stop to get off...piece of cake. It can be exhausting being alone and constantly having to be aware - looking at the map, where am I?, where do I need to go?, how much is it?, is it a safe area? what time?, etc., etc. It was nice to come back to familiar territory, territory that I like! I had called the hostel to make reservations for my last few nights in Santiago and they said "no problem, we have plenty of room". Well, turns out they didn't. I gave Miguel a hard time because he remembered talking to me and was saying "I am sorrrry, so sorrrry" (with that rolled "r" accent) - I gave him the evil eye. They worked out setting up a bed for me in a huge room that was being renovated. It was great because I had all this space to myself and I got a major discount!

During the day, I did my normal walk and walk and walk routine and have become quite an authority on cafe dwelling. It's an art, perfected with time. You must pick out a cafe with real expresso, order a cappuccino, find a seat with good people viewing angles, sit and enjoy. It's a tough job, but I have definitely been up for the challenge.

That night, I was in the salsa mood. I was given the name of two places in the ever popular bohemian chic (although sometimes they forget the chic and it's down right hippie) Bella Vista neighborhood. I walked to one place and a guy that worked there was coming out of the club. I asked him about salsa lessons and he said yes, yes - come in. Ah ok, but where are all the people? Oh, we have official lessons on Thursdays so I can give you private lessons - here let me show you. The next thing I knew, I was dancing this really close kinda salsa and he is not a teacher, he is the bartender. Ahem...don't think so, gotta go! I found the other place and they really were having lessons. I jumped into the group and danced for about an hour. They were teaching (at least, I think it was...) the "on 2" version of salsa. It's a bit different. So I am learning, there are many salsa styles...Cuban, Puerto Rican, Columbian, etc. I think in the U.S. we dance Puerto Rican, but I am not sure because you always here west coast style vs east coast style. Anyway, I didn't really think the teacher was all that great. He was more about showing off and demonstrating the steps so fast that everyone was in awe, but nobody learned anything. I enjoyed moving around and the music, as always. After the lesson, I headed back to my spacious room. It hasn't been often on this trip that I've been able to spread out have my own space. Me likey!

No comments: