Friday, October 17, 2008

Baños...un dia mas!




On my last full day in Baños, Anna and I ran "some errands". We dropped my laundry off at the lavanderia, bought my bus ticket for the next day, did some emailing and ate breakfast at a cafe with a very opinionated Danish owner. I didn´t get her name but it is such a small world. She used to live in San Francisco and now, when she visits she stays at a friend´s house that is just 2 blocks from my place!

We decided we wanted to hike around the town so we hiked toward the mountains and found a random bridge called Puente Seco which wasn't so "seco" or dry. There was plenty of water flowing underneath it. We were the only ones there until a man came hiking down the steep mountain on the other side to cross the bride. We both noticed that in Latin America most bridges have a statue of a Saint near it with a little shrine of flowers and the like. I was thankful that the bridge was blessed since we were standing on it, not really knowing anything about it! Speaking of Saints, during my time in Baños, it was the time of the year that the town of Baños pays tribute to La Virgen de Agua Santa. We saw several parades with the statue of La Virgen heading up the crowd, followed by loyal subjects singing and reciting different responsorial phrases.

We were both pretty tired by the time we got back to our hotel. I had planned to go to yoga class but it was a no go. Instead, we grabbed dinner and I had to pack my suitcase for my trip to Guayaquil the next day. Anna and I only had one disagreement during our time together...I want the US dollar to go up and she wants it to go down! At this point, I am afraid to even look up the rate! I said adios to Anna. I am sure our paths will cross again when she comes to visit me in San Francisco or when I visit Sweden!

No comments: