Monday, January 31, 2011

What Do You Mean We Can't Go?



Queenstown is one of the major bases for touring Milford Sound and seeing the sound was the main reasons I came to Queenstown. There are a few options from Queenstown. You can:

  • Coach-Cruise-Coach
  • Fly-Cruise-Coach
  • Coach-Cruise-Fly
  • Fly-Cruise-Fly

I found really good ½ price deal for the Fly-Cruise-Coach deal which meant I was to take a 35 minute plane ride to the sound, board a 2 hour cruise on the sound and then take a 4+ hour bus back to Queenstown. I was picked up at around 11:30 p.m. and we headed to the airport. When we got there, I had a bad feeling because the pilot/head of the company had us sit and wait for about 25 minutes as he was waiting on the weather. It was pretty windy out, but it did not seem too bad. Well, it was bad and our tour was cancelled due to the windy, rainy weather at the sound. Apparently, the weather at the sound can be completely different than the weather in Queenstown. I was so disappointed. I did not have a Plan B for the day so I asked our driver to take me to the tourist information center so I could evaluate my options for an afternoon activity. Queenstown is the capital for adventurous and fun activities. I read that there are approximately 200 different tours/activities you can do from and in the town. Anything and everything you’d want to do is here:

  • Bungy jumping – done it - check
  • Zip lining – done it - check
  • Canyoning – done it - check
  • Sky diving – won’t do it - forget the check
  • Lord of the Rings site tour – no thanks - forget the check

And the list goes on and on…

At the end of the day, the wind was taken out of my sails and nothing appealed to me. I rescheduled my tour to Milford Sound for the following day - this time I decided to forgo the flight and take the bus to get there. This way, I knew I’d make the boat tour, it just meant it was going to be a really long day.

I walked around town and called it a night.

No comments: