Thursday, January 27, 2011

Nelson to Greymouth...Just Because...





Anja, my new friend from Germany, and I woke up early to catch the bus from Nelson. I was headed to Greymouth and she was continuing on to Franz Josef. Honestly, I don't know why I was going to Greymouth. There are hikes and other activities to do from Greymouth, but I wasn't very interested in any of them. I really just wanted to make my way down the west coast and stop along the way.

From Nelson, the bus made a few stops along the way and one of those stops was in Punakaiki. We had about a 25 minute stop over, enough time to see the Pancake Rocks. Anja and I were headed for the trail to the water when I heard someone "holla" my name. I looked over and it was Karoline! It was a little shocking to have your name called out when you wouldn't think you'd know anyone. It's a small traveling world here in New Zealand. It turns out that Karoline was on her way to Franz Josef too. The three of us made our way to see the Pancake Rocks. The Pancake Rocks are a heavily eroded limestone area where, during high tide, the sea burst through blow holes in the rocks. It can be quite dramatic - sometimes I feel like the pictures don't do justice to the amazing nature here. The layering of the limestone makes the rocks resemble a stack of pancakes.

We made plans to meet up the following night and I off boarded the bus in Greymouth to do - Nothing!

Greymouth was not an interesting town. I splurged for my own room, which happened to be the Elephant Room (still a shared bathroom), ate, did some work emails and went to bed!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

a) I'm now Google-mapping your trip as I read. b) WORK EMAILS?! Knock it off!