Friday, January 14, 2011

Auckland, New Zealand...






I arrived at the Auckland airport around 10 a.m. I left California on the evening of January 12th and arrived in Auckland on January 14th. The time difference is almost 24 hours which actually makes it easier on the body...jet lag wasn't all that bad. It's when the time difference is closer to 12 hours, that's when jet lag can be really tough.

I took the bus to the city center where, on the recommendation of my good friend Ingrid who lived in Auckland, I checked into City Life hotel. It's a nice hotel. After such a long trip, I wasn't quite geared up for the Hostel situation - not yet. I am so lucky, I have such great friends. My friend Cara emailed her friends Val and Martin, who recently started living and working in Auckland and introduced us via email. I emailed Val upon my arrival and I met her at the main Ferry building. Val gave me a tour of their offices and they invited me to have a drink with some friends they work with and we went to the Viaduct Harbor for dinner at a pub. It was nice to meet them in person as I had heard much about them and their travels - they have the traveling spirit too! We know so many of the same people from the old Deloitte days. Val and I worked on the same jobs, just at different times and I am pretty sure I worked with Martin on a small job, but can't remember the name of the client. Patty, Martin says "Hi"!

I slept incredibly well that first night!

First impressions:
  • Auckland is really clean - me likey!
  • Diverse in cultures - Locals, Many different Asian groups, Indian, Maori, Canadian, etc. No latinos - this is interesting! Very different from home! I think I am the only one!
  • Seems very safe - haven't seen one police officer.
  • Very progressive - nice/expensive stores - probably not a good idea for me to go into the Louis Vuitton store!
  • Lovely Harbor.
  • Cafes galore - I will be drinking mucho cafe!


2 comments:

tdivita said...

I came to check out the blog to see if it was started yet... So excited, I can now live vicariously through your adventures for another couple of months... Safe travels my friend...

Tina

Matt said...

Hey Jojo. I randomly checked to see if you re-started your blog. Good to know its up and running with the ongoing dramedy that is Patricia Joanne. The Aussie Open is going on now. Does NZ follow it? Safe travels young lady. I'll be following the Dream. And for the record, I too hate it when women cry. Very glad you made the flight.