Thursday, February 12, 2009

National Park Visit and MEAT...




The next day, Siobhan and I decided to take the “fancy route” to the National Park. We took a train to get there. It was a scenic, serene, two + hour steam train ride to the park. We were all about the novelty of the train ride. The bus would have been faster, but being on the train seemed like it would be fun, and it was!

When we arrived at the national park, picked a hiking trail along the Beagle Channel and took off. It was about a 3-hour hike with some amazing scenery and good exercise! We jumped on the bus back to Ushuaia and relaxed for a while back at the hostel.

That night, I decided I wanted to try a parrilla. A parrilla is in essence a barbecue grill upon which various meats are cooked. They are generally visible from the dining room; just walking by one on the street gives your eyes a view delicious enough to make your mouth water. This was really my first time having lamb. I honestly cannot remember even trying it before this. We went to a really busy parrilla and I tried the BBQ lamb and chorizo. It was amazing! Patagonian lamb, melt in your mouth delicious! I highly recommend it! I don’t know how this happened – I think we were trying to take pictures of the spit and the roasting lamb…the next think you know, the “BBQ guy” has Siobhan go over and cut the lamb. The hilarious thing about this is that she is a vegetarian! She kept telling him "Yo soy vegetariana” – he just rolled his eyes.

We said good-bye that night…until we meet again! I was scheduled for a 5 a.m. bus to El Calafate.

No comments: