Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Buenos Aires to the end of the World...






Ushuaia - the gateway to Antartica, the capital city of Tierra del Fuego provence, the southernmost city in the world - very cool. I arrived at the airport around 3:30 p.m. and met another pair that were going to the main town. We shared a taxi. I had reserved a room at the same Hostel as Siobhan, from London, a fellow traveler who I had met in Chile. There was a mess up with the reservation and I was sent over to their sister Hostel for one night - no big deal. Siobhan and I went out and grabbed some dinner and we had a bottle of wine back at the Hostel while researching our tour for the next day.

The next morning, we were off on our tour. We took a boat trip out into the waters near Tierra del Fuego and the Beagle Channel. We saw penguins, a light house that I am sure has been the subject of many a postcard, and other marine life. I loved it. Back in town we ate lunch and headed out on a hike to Glacier Martial. We started hiking and were a bit lost on the trail. It was muddy in parts and not very well marked, but we made it. The hike was worth the views of the bay/port and the exercise as I can feel the lbs coming on. The glacier itself was kind of wimpy. I wasn't very impressed with it.

We cooked dinner that night at the Hostel with another couple there. Stewart and Julia - ah, love was budding...he wined and dined her with OUR wine...it was hilarious!

No comments: