Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Mendoza - more wine tasing...






I high tailed it to Mendoza, Argentina. I splurged ($30) on a nice room with A/C, TV and, the most important thing, a really nice BATHROOM! My goal for Mendoza was to wine taste. I went on a wine tasting tour with two couples from Santa Fe, Argentina and a guy from Brazil. It was an odd group. Our first stop was Cavas de Don Arturo. I enjoyed a couple of the wines - there was a pretty good Malbec, but nothing really notable. The scenery was a little lacking compared to Chile's wine region - there was a huge oil drill on the property next to the winery - not especially esthetically pleasing. Our second stop was Lager Baudron where we partook in Wine and Empanadas - yum! We also stopped at a distillary that specializes in flavored liquors and absenthe! It was a "happy" tour for sure.

The next day, I took my own guided city walking tour from a map in my handy dandy travel boo. All in all it was a nice day. I wish I had more time to explore, maybe I'll come back some day. Rushed for time, it was back to the bus station for another 14 hour (ouch) bus ride to Buenos Aires. The overnight bus rides were kind of rough on my legs - lack of circulation = puffy legs.

Upon arriving in BA, I took a taxi straight to the airport. I booked a flight to Ushuaia - the very tip of South America in the Patagonia region.

No comments: