Monday, September 29, 2008

Ready, set, go...and pack!

I have been back almost a month now and have settled into "my old personality".  I am going, going and sometimes feel gone.  How quickly old habits come back.  It is really easy for me to chill out and relax when I am away from home.  Actually, I think during parts of my trip, I was probably the least stressed I have been in many, many years.  But, being home brings out the "crazy busy me".  How much can I fit-in in one day?  If I multi-task, I can get 3 times as much done and then I'll be able to fit-in watching a movie, while I fold clothes and go through the mail -- coo coo!  I'll put this on the "things to work on" list (as if I need another list right now...)!

My 1st week back, I went through a bit of culture shock.  I hadn't driven in 2 1/2 months and was a little shaky at 1st - weird, I found myself continuing to say "buenos dias", "desculpe", "gracias" and other spanish phrases to people and I slept a lot.  But, the culture shock was short lived and soon I was back at it.  I have been meeting up with friends, doing some project work for my friend Ingrid, visiting my mom almost daily, going to my nephew's soccer games, getting my car fixed, trying to work out AND, last but definitely not least, planning and getting ready for my next trip!

D-Day (Departure Day) is set for Thurdsay October 9th.  Yaaahhoooo!  This time, it's ALL the way down...down to South America that is.  My 1st stop is Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands!  Yup yup!  I will be visiting Peru, Chile and Argentina too!

A few lessons learned from my 1st trip:
  • White is not a good clothing option (after 1 wash, your white shirt is dingy white and after 2 washes, there is no real evidence that it was a white shirt to begin with, a little scary - is that the water?).
  • Umbrella is a necessity - this time I will try not to loose 3 of them.
  • More shirts!  
  • Must bring running shoes.
  • Must bring 1 pair of heels - salsa dancing in flip flops is possible but not ideal.
  • Dresses are a good option - 1 article, easy to pack - must bring the magic dress.
  • Messenger style purse/bag will come in handy.
  • Don't need 3 pairs of flip flops.
  • If you smile and ask for help, you are bound to get it!
  • Don't freak out about anything right away - it's probably all in your head (let's hope).
  • WE ARE SO LUCKY TO LIVE WHERE WE DO.  I LOVE traveling, seeing other countries and experiencing other cultures, but one thing is for sure, no matter what, I will always appreciate living here.
I envision the next 2 months to be less "beachy" and more big cities, big mountains, big hikes, big wines and big steaks!  It will be springtime in South America so I am anticipating cooler weather with rain thrown in.  I am also anticipating an incredible adventure...!!...although, I do have conflicting emotions about this next leg of my travels.  On one hand, I have done it alone and know I can do it so I feel very confident.  But, on the other hand, I am going to be alone for almost the entire 2 months.  I'll be with my friend Patty in Argentina for 2 weeks...Yay!  It's really easy to meet people and I am pretty social so that's not a problem, but sometimes it's nice to have someone with you.  Am I crazy?  I wonder sometimes...(no comments please). Here goes nutin...!  

If we didn't get to see each other this go round, I'll be back in 2 months - let's have a holiday reunion!  :)  

Also, I would like to say...thank you-thank you-thank you to all of you, my wonderful friends, for your concern and kind words regarding my mom.  She is still struggling with good and bad days.  It does seem like there are a few more good than bad lately, which is positive!  A few months ago, she was tested for wheat and gluten allergy by her doctor by way of a blood test and the results were negative, no allergy.  She has recently gone to see a different doctor, one that uses natural methods, and this Doctor thinks that that is exactly what my mom has.  I have to say, if this is what it is, I will be a bit t'd-off.  This type of allergy is something that was suggested by many, many people in the very beginning of these crazy symptoms and Kaiser said no, that is not it.  I have had Kaiser my whole life and have always had nothing but great things to say, but I am not so sure anymore.  She has changed her diet and we are hoping that this does the trick!

ps...I love all the comments on the blog site.  I can't always respond due to internet cafe time constraints but I love reading them!

No comments: