Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I need water!













After being in a hot and sticky place with no respite, I need to be by the water. I had a few options as far as where to go next, but I decided to go straight to the beach. If I am going to be hot and sticky, I want to be where I can hop in the water whenever I want.

From Merida, I took a bus straight to Playa del Carmen. Playa is located about an hour south of Cancun. It´s not quite Cancun as far as crazy touristy, but it´s on its way. Prices are not so cheap here. I am ok with the touristy part because the water is FANTASTIC! Gorgeous blue, warm and refreshing! I decided to have Playa be my home base for day trips.

I arrived on Monday and found Posada Fernandez. Very reasonably priced for the area AND it has A/C - AMEN! I walked around, hit the beach and found a yoga class (yay...I missed yoga!). OH and come to find out, Playa is/can be (if you so desire) a topless beach. There are ta tas everywhere! Although, it´s kind of like Bay to Breakers where the people that run naked are the people you would really rather not see naked...you know what I mean...right?

On Tuesday, Yoga in the morning and then I hit the beach again and went snorkeling. I went on a boat that takes you to the reef just off the playa. This was a good starter trip for me. I haven´t been snorkeling in a LONG time. It was calm and really clear. I just can´t get over the water. It´s so beautiful. I´ve never been to Jamaica or the Bahamas, this is really my 1st time visiting Caribbean Sea and I love it! Manuel, our guide, dove down and grabbed a couple estrellas del mar and I held those prickely things...yikes! TC - I may have to have Carlos help me get dive certified...hmmm...!

Wednesday, I took a day trip to Tulum which is about an hour south of Playa. There is a small town, extensive white sand beaches and it is the site of Mayan ruins called, go figure, Tulum. Tulum means "walled city" as named by the Spanish but they think that it was called "the Dawn" by the Mayans, because of the gorgeous sun rises. Because of it´s location, Tulum was a major link in the Maya´s trade network, linking both land and sea. Now, these Mayans had it straight. If I was Mayan back then, I would have wanted to live here. Talk about beach front property! The site is right on the water with ruins overlooking sea. It takes your breath away. After touring the ruins, I walked to the beach and WOW! White sand, gorgeous water...it was great and a lot less touristy!

Thursday it was off to the island of Cozumel. I took a 45 minute ferry ride to the Island. On the way there, I met fellow SF Giants fan Ramon who was with Dodger fan (big boo!) Bob. Two bay area guys on vacation for the week. We ate breakfast together then they were off to ride scooters around the island. I decided to take a catamaran/snorkel trip to the southern part of the island to Palancar Reef. It was so beautiful. Again, the water...just so blue. We stopped at two different reefs and then on a private beach for dinner, margaritas and pretty much anything else you wanted to do...kayaking, beach volleyball, water trampoline, water rock climbing...so fun! I met Doyle and Cooper, father and son from Texas. They've been to Cozumel many times and gave me the lay of the land. I missed the 6 p.m. ferry so had to wait till 8 p.m. to start my way back to Playa...exhausted!

I needed water...I got water and sun too! Gorgeous, blue and warm water! I am so dark now, I don´t even recognize my arms and legs! Luv it!

One more beach day then I am off to Panama to reunite with Karen and Tabitha!

No comments: