Saturday, January 17, 2009

Holy Hottness!





It is hot here in Montevideo, not just kinda hot, but hot hot and muggy too.  We spent the day walking to ciudad vieja and to the water.  We at lunch at a cafe in ciudad vieja and asked about getting to the Pocitos neighborhood on the water.  We ended up taking a bus to a large mall that was in the general direction of Pocitos.  I know, I know!  I didn't really want to be spending much time in the mall, but it has A/C and we were dying of heat stroke.  We left the wonderfully air conditioned mall and walked to the beach in the Pocitos area.  The beach is really big and it wasn't too crowded.   From the beach, we headed back to ciudad vieja and bought tickets to a jazz show that was playing at Teatro Solis.  The band playing was the Sergio Fernandez Cabrera trio.  Sergio himself was an extremely talented guitarist and a quiet kind of guy.  He reminded me of an extremely talented genius that wasn't comfortable in the spotlight but loved playing and composing music.  We bought tickets in the upper balcony and ended up sitting in the front row - how that happened, I have no idea.  The show was good, but long and toward the end both Patty and I were dying to use the ladies room.  We snuck out early (it was kind of hard to sneak being in the front row, but nature called!).  

After the show we went to dinner at Bar Hispano where we proceeded to order and eat the world's largest banana split.  I am so going to pay for all this food I am eating -- will pay later!  It was delicious!  Later we went to a bar called "bar fun fun" and guess what, it was fun.  There was a live band and the band and their groupies were entertained by the two girls from the U.S.A.  Patty was hit on by a singing midget (or was it a dwarf...Lewis???) and danced with an overly hyper Uruguayan.  We talked to a couple of guys from Brasil which was interesting and then it was back to the hotel.  Walking back to the hotel was the one and only time on my trip that I felt a little scared.  Some crazy guy followed us for a while...we beelined it for a corner where there were other people hanging out and ditched the crazy guy...eeeoowww!     

1 comment:

BreeWee said...

I LOVE your blog and following your adventures! Central America (Costa Rica in particular) is my most favorite place on Earth (and I live in Hawaii)...

It is so much fun reading about your travels and adventures! Thanks for sharing! ENJOY!